This program has been designed for those who are interested in pursuing higher studies in the field of Computer Science. The curriculum of this program is designed to provide students with a good grasp of core contents of Computer Science which any professional in the subject is expected to know, to foster logical and analytical thought, independent study, self motivation and communication skills, to make aware of research results and latest trends in the key areas of the subject, to provide opportunities to gain practical experience of computing, using modern hardware and software, in order to provide motivation for and deeper understanding of material taught in formal lectures, to produce graduates with sound knowledge in both theory and practice in Computer Science, including current emerging technologies and experimental learning, to prepare students to contribute to the computing profession upon graduation and to provide the necessary background required to read for a Ph.D. in Computer Science.
- Those who need academic qualifications in Computer Science.
- Those who are planning to start a career or already employed in a computing environment.
- Those who teach Computer Science or ICT in schools or universities or other educational
Minimum admission requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Technology, Information and Communication Technology, Information Systems, Physical Sciences or Engineering from a recognized university, or
- Any other degree with 30 credits in computing from a recognized university, or
- Any other equivalent qualification in computing that would be acceptable to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) and the senate of the university.
A written examination and/or an interview will be held to select candidates when the number of applicants exceeds the maximum number that can be accommodated.
Maximum 50 students per batch. However, the program will be started only if at least 25 candidates are registered.
- Course fee for local candidates – Rs. 390,000/-
- Course fee for foreign candidates
- SAARC countries – US$ 5,379/-
- Non-SAARC countries – US$ 10,758/-
Note: Students are not allowed to attend lectures or sit examinations if the payments were not made on time. Those who haven’t paid will not be considered as postgraduate students of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura.
The following exit points are offered to a candidate of the program:
(a) A candidate who fulfills the requirement given in (ASSESSMENT PROCESS – 13) has the option of exiting at the postgraduate certificate level and obtaining the Postgraduate Certificate in Computer Science.
(b) A candidate who fulfills the requirement given in (ASSESSMENT PROCESS – 12) has the option of exiting at the postgraduate diploma level and obtaining the Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science.
(c) A candidate who fulfills the requirement given in (ASSESSMENT PROCESS – 11) has the option of exiting at the M.Sc. by course work level and obtaining the M.Sc. in Computer Science by course work.
(d) A candidate who fulfills the requirement given in (ASSESSMENT PROCESS – 10) has the option of exiting at the M.Sc. by research level and obtaining the M.Sc. in Computer Science with a research component.
Note: However, no candidate is allowed to obtain more than one certificate from the above exit points of the M.Sc. program in Computer Science from the University of Sri Jayewardenepura.